‘This was a mission that was started before I got here’: Trump suggests Obama to blame for raid that lost Navy SEAL – Business Insider


donald trump
President
Donald Trump on “Fox and Friends.”

Fox
News


President Donald Trump suggested in an interview broadcast
Tuesday that former President Barack Obama was, in part, at fault
for last month’s raid in Yemen that resulted in the death of a
Navy SEAL, even though it was Trump who gave the order to carry
out the raid.

In an interview with “Fox & Friends” that aired Tuesday,
Trump was asked how he felt that William Owens, whose son William
“Ryan” Owens was killed in the raid in Yemen, didn’t want to meet
with Trump out of indignation because of the raid’s botched
execution.

“This was a mission that was started before I got here,” Trump
said. “This was something they wanted to do. They came to see me,
they told me what they wanted to do, the generals, who are very
respected — my generals are most respected we’ve had in many
decades, I believe. And they lost Ryan.”

The president acknowledged that Owens was upset about the loss of
his son but passed the buck to his predecessor.

“I can understand people saying that,” Trump said. “What’s worse?
There’s nothing worse. But again, this was something that they
were looking at for a long time.”

The president has been criticized for hastily green-lighting the
raid, which NBC News on Monday reported had not seemed to yield
significant intelligence. Though Obama administration officials
planned the raid, Obama passed the decision along to his
successor to decide whether to execute it.

In an
interview
with the Miami Herald, Owens’ father slammed Trump,
demanding an inquiry into the raid’s planning.

“Why at this time did there have to be this stupid mission when
it wasn’t even barely a week into his administration?” Owens
said. “Why? For two years prior, there were no boots on the
ground in Yemen — everything was missiles and drones — because
there was not a target worth one American life. Now, all of a
sudden we had to make this grand display?”

Though Trump told Fox News that the first several weeks of his
presidency deserved an “A” grading, the president blamed the
previous administration for several of the White House’s current
woes.

In the interview, Trump
said
Obama was responsible for the surge in anti-Trump
participation by constituents at congressional GOP town-hall
meetings. The president also said information leaks from within
the federal government were the result of remaining Obama
administration officials attempting to negatively depict the new
White House.

Watch the clip below, via Fox News:

Comments

Write a Reply or Comment:

Your email address will not be published.*