At least 20 people have died and more than 100 were injured after a gunman opened fire on attendees of the Route 91 Harvest Music Festival near the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas on Sunday night.
According to local reports, the victims were shot with a high-powered assault rifle from the 32nd floor of the hotel. Police responded to the incident about 10 p.m. local time. In a media briefing held shortly after midnight, police reported that one suspect – who was a local resident – was down. The suspect’s traveling companion, a woman identified as Marilou Danley, was being sought, as were two vehicles believed associated with the gunman.
A Las Vegas hospital first reported that two people were killed in the attack, with 24 injured. But later in the night, Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Sheriff Joseph Lombardo confirmed that at least 20 had died.
Lombardo held a media briefing confirming the suspect was now dead. Lombardo said “We have no idea what his belief system was. Right now we believe he was the sole aggressor.” He said that social media conjecture that there had been multiple shooters at other resorts and explosives going off were “proven to be false.”
The shooting broke out at the end of a Jason Aldean set, with some witnesses reporting that they had heard possibly hundreds of shots and saw at least one officer down. Videos posted to Twitter show concertgoers sheltering in place as gunshots are heard ringing throughout the area.
Aldean called for prayers for the victims on Instagram. He wrote: “Tonight has been beyond horrific. I still don’t know what to say but wanted to let everyone know that me and my crew are safe. My Thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved tonight. It hurts my heart that this would happen to anyone who was just coming out to enjoy what should have been a fun night.”
Other artists scheduled to play on the main stage of the festival, which spanned the weekend, include Eric Church, Sam Hunt, Jake Owen, Maren Morris, the Brothers Osborne, Lee Brice, and more.
Flights in and out of McCarran International Airport, Las Vegas’ main air hub, were also temporarily grounded.
Thanking first responders MGM Resorts International, which owns the Mandalay Bay Hotel, said police had requested hotels in the vicinity be put on lockdown to ensure guest safety.
A tweet from the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department notes that they don’t believe there are additional suspects on the loose.
More to come.
Tonight has been beyond horrific. I still dont know what to say but wanted to let everyone know that Me and my Crew are safe. My Thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved tonight. It hurts my heart that this would happen to anyone who was just coming out to enjoy what should have been a fun night. #heartbroken #stopthehate
A post shared by Jason Aldean (@jasonaldean) on Oct 2, 2017 at 1:17am PDT
A post shared by Randy (girl) Kindred (@randy_kindred_girl_) on Oct 1, 2017 at 10:56pm PDT